trying to avoid dispute
Post your questions and find answers on all garden related topics and areas

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
THE KAMEN
Labourer
Labourer

trying to avoid dispute

by THE KAMEN » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:40 am

Hi hope someone can help - I'm building a pond with breeze blocks along side a neighbours extention wall - Can I block right up to his wall or do i have to be a minimum distance away? I cant find anything in the building regulations that refers to this
Thanks in advance.
will

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:06 pm

sheds, extensions etc etc have to have a gap of 12" - 18", their extension should not be right on your boundary line, so the 18" up to their wall is technically their land (if they followed regulations).

I would suggest its best to leave a gap, as if your pond ever leaks it could penetrate their brickwork, and cause a fair bit damage if not detected quickly.

T F McNeill
Apprentice
Apprentice

by T F McNeill » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:37 pm

I don't think htg engineer is correct. There is a piece of legislation called The Party Walls Act (or regulations). If you Google party walls you should find it. Tom

LCL
Ganger
Ganger

by LCL » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:49 pm

I think tha main issue here will be the Party Wall etc Act 1996. You can down load a copy from the internet. If you are proposing to excavate within 3m of an adjoining owners property and to an assumed greater depth than their foundations, you will need to serve notice upon them.

It is possible that the adjoining owners extension was legally constructed up to the boundary, or even astride it with the (at that time) adjoining owners consent, so this may all have been agreed by your previous owner. If you are in London, the old London Party Wall acts would have been in force or elsewhere the new act only came into force during 1997.

Probably best to chat if through with your neighbour, take lots of photos and both sign the back. This gives a record of the condition of next doors property prior to any works starting.

If in doubt speak to a local Chartered Surveyor that carries out party wall work.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:22 pm