Turn Tap On then Toilet Flushes
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
suntanmandan
Labourer
Labourer

Turn Tap On then Toilet Flushes

by suntanmandan » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:53 am

Hi, i hope someone can help with this strange prob im having. I had a new bathroom suite installed downstairs last year, working fine uptill now:
When i flush the toilet (its one of those button flushes, either half or full flush), it flushes as expected, but if i then turn either the basin tap or kitchen tap on the toilet begins to flush again. Well it's not exactly as fast as a normal flush, and continues flushing indefinetely until i flush the toilet again.

I have though about stripping all the gubbins down from inside the cistern, maybe somethings wrong there?

Dan

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:21 pm

suntanmandan,
Yes, the plunger thingy in the cistern is stuck in the up position - take it out and clean it.
end

swidders
Ganger
Ganger

by swidders » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:51 pm

From what you describe it sounds more like the cistern is overflowing (if you didn't know, modern cisterns don't overflow to the outside through a pipe, but down into the pan itself - this is why it appears that is is constantly flushing).

As to why opening the taps causes this, not entirely sure why a reduction in pressure on the valve should cause it to open and remain open which will cause the subsequent overflow. Not too difficult nor expensive to replace this inlet valve fitting.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:19 pm

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:24 pm