Turn two light switches into one
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
themoffster
Apprentice
Apprentice

Turn two light switches into one

by themoffster » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:32 pm

I have a utility room which has a light switch (call it light switch 1) for the ceiling lights.
I have just extended the utility and in the extension the ceiling lights (which are not the same lights) are controlled by a separate switch (call it light switch 2).
Both light switches are on the same breaker.

I would now like to remove light switch 2 and have light switch 1 control both sets of lights. For context, originally it was to be two separate rooms but we did away with the door and made it one large utility.

My understanding is I can cut the 1.5mm cable from light switch 1 then then join it back together again using Wago connectors. I can then disconnect the 1.5mm cable from light switch 2 and join that to the Wago connectors too.

Is this correct?
It’s a UK new build. 2 years old so you to date wiring.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Turn two light switches into one

by Mr White » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:05 pm

themoffster wrote:My understanding is I can cut the 1.5mm cable from light switch 1 then then join it back together again using Wago connectors

Sorry, but your understanding is wrong, if you did that you would in effect be leaving the switch permanently on, so light 1 would never turn off.

It depends how your lights have been wired as to how to proceed.

I often wonder, does the OP ever pop back to see if they have a reply?

The "usual" way, would be to remove switch 2, disconnect the cable to switch 2 at the light, connect the light to the incoming cable, go to light 1 and move the Live feed to light 2 to the switch wire from switch 1 (The neutrals stay where they are.)

BUT there has been a "new idea" to take the feed cable to the switch first instead of the light first. (This is great if you want a smart switch.)

Pictures of the wiring for both lights and both switches would be great.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:07 pm