Turning a rendered garden wall to a natural stone wall.
Brickwork, drystone walling, render are a few subjects covered here. Click here to post questions and get answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Rh1464
Labourer
Labourer

Turning a rendered garden wall to a natural stone wall.

Post by Rh1464 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:48 pm

Hi all.

I have a semi retaining wall that separates our slightly raised garden from the patio and is about 15m long, and averaging about 1m high. Currently it has been rendered to match the house, however I would like to try and face it with natural stone to match our front boundary wall and then cap with the same sandstone being used for the patio.

I’m having the patio redone in the near future and will potentially wrap the walling job in with that. However, given the rise in costs etc, I’m considering the prospect of doing the wall myself as a fairly competent DIYer in order to keep the costs down, and I get the impression that it’s a job that doesn’t have to be done all in one go, and can be done in stages, which would work with my current work vs. Kids balance.

Ultimately I’m looking to gauge whether it is a job that is worth me considering relative to the cost of getting a pro to do it. I’m still gathering quotes for the wall side of things, but an idea from anyone who does this sort of thing, or who has had it done as to an approximate cost per metre etc. would be appreciated so that i at least have some idea of quotes that might be trying to take the perviverbial.

If doing the job myself, what would be the best way to attack it. I assume that I am going to need some sort of wall tie to bind the stone to the block structure behind? If so, what would type would be recommended and how often vertically and horizontally? I seem to be finding 450mm vertically and 900mm horizontally? Is it be best to remove the render back to the block behind, or using ties, will that mean that there isn’t much need? With getting the patio done, would it be best to wait until that has been completed, then build on top of that, or clear the old patio down to the solid sub layer below and build onto that and then get the patio done up to the new stone wall? I imagine that is best, but wondering if it is necessary? What sort of mortar is best for this sort of application in terms of both consistency (semi dry, wet, somewhere in between etc) and make up? Is a lime based mortar better for this sort of application?

From watching videos and seeing walling all around me in wales, the concept looks ‘simple’. However I’m imaging that the reality is far more challenging and a giant puzzle. However, is the aim to pick nice fronting stones, and then any gaps behind, given the varying depths of the stone used, filled with mortar and smaller stones to fill the void,as I build up?

Any help, advice, info would be so much appreciated, and at this stage any advice on cost for a pro doing it, and what the makeup of cost is in materials vs. Labour.

Many many thanks,

Rob

Rh1464
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Turning a rendered garden wall to a natural stone wall.

Post by Rh1464 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:31 pm

Taken me a while to adjust the pictures to a format that would upload. Here’s the rendered wall and our existing stone boundary wall. Sorry, not sure why they have inverted themselves on uploading!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:37 pm