Turning Garage Light On Causes Front Door Light To Constantly Flicker
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
B_o_b_o
Labourer
Labourer

Turning Garage Light On Causes Front Door Light To Constantly Flicker

Post by B_o_b_o » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:59 pm

I've fitted a new PIR front door light (previously we've had two different ones so it was just a straight swap). It's been working fine but now noticed if I turn on the light inside my garage, the newly fitted PIR front door light goes crazy, buzzing and flickering. If I turn it off and back on it is fine? Until the next time I go inside the garage.

Why would turning on the light inside my garage cause the front door light to start buzzing & flickering?

Never experienced this before. I checked the wiring inside the front door light and there are no loose connections.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Turning Garage Light On Causes Front Door Light To Constantly Flicker

Post by ericmark » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:52 pm

I have a similar problem between me and next door there PIR does not only sense movement it also senses heat change so once triggered it turns off my small light controlled lamp but when it times out my light controlled light re-lights however theirs senses the heat change and turns back on again.

It will depend on what you PIR can be triggered by, it could be the frequency of the florescent fitting in garage or heat or light. In some cases any RF will send them potty.

A proper Doppler shift detector cost a lot of money so we use cheap alternatives and some do a better job than others. Normally there are stickers to mask selected areas to get around the problem.

B_o_b_o
Labourer
Labourer

Post by B_o_b_o » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:44 pm

ericmark wrote:I have a similar problem between me and next door there PIR does not only sense movement it also senses heat change so once triggered it turns off my small light controlled lamp but when it times out my light controlled light re-lights however theirs senses the heat change and turns back on again.

It will depend on what you PIR can be triggered by, it could be the frequency of the florescent fitting in garage or heat or light. In some cases any RF will send them potty.

A proper Doppler shift detector cost a lot of money so we use cheap alternatives and some do a better job than others. Normally there are stickers to mask selected areas to get around the problem.

Please don't confuse your issue with mine.

Can anybody help with my problem?

B_o_b_o
Labourer
Labourer

Post by B_o_b_o » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:28 am

To clarify even further.

When I turn on the light inside my garage (my garage door has no windows), the other light outside my house at the front starts to flicker + buzz.

The two lights cannot see one another and this is nothing to do with movement or temperature changes.

They even have separate switches.

As long as I don't turn on the light inside the garage, the front door light behaves perfectly fine and operates as expected.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:57 pm

Where are the supplies taken from? I have had some odd faults where some one has tried to supply a new circuit from a light switch and used a switched line wire instead of a neutral. However we can't test things for you we can only guess what mistakes may have been made.

Try using tungsten lamps and see what they do. With CFL all sorts of odd things can happen when incorrectly wired but with tungsten seeing a light glow, go dim, go brighter etc can often high light the fault.

B_o_b_o
Labourer
Labourer

Post by B_o_b_o » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:11 pm

ericmark wrote:Where are the supplies taken from? I have had some odd faults where some one has tried to supply a new circuit from a light switch and used a switched line wire instead of a neutral. However we can't test things for you we can only guess what mistakes may have been made.

Try using tungsten lamps and see what they do. With CFL all sorts of odd things can happen when incorrectly wired but with tungsten seeing a light glow, go dim, go brighter etc can often high light the fault.

Yet we've never experienced the issue with the two previous front door lights over the last 5yrs. Exactly the same wiring, exactly the same supply.

So what could have caused the issue only happening now?

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:25 pm