turning off wather supply
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
yvonnepaul
Apprentice
Apprentice

by yvonnepaul » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:02 am

Hi i'm new to all this DIY, I want to remove an old bath to get the tiles off the wall underneath etc, I know how to turn off the cold water but how do you stop the hot tap with a combi boiler no tank??? Im not planning in installing the new bath yet but need to turn water back on for general use. I thought icould reconnect the taps after and just leave them hanging till its time to put in new bath

help!!!!!

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:20 am

Turning off the mains cold water - will also stop the hot water.

yvonnepaul
Apprentice
Apprentice

by yvonnepaul » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:22 pm

thanks for getting back so fast, i understand that turning off the cold will stop the hot water as well but we need to turn the water back on as we live in our house! can i just add so stop valve things to the end of the pipes where to taps were?????

yvonnepaul
Apprentice
Apprentice

by yvonnepaul » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:24 pm

[quote="htg engineer"]Turning off the mains cold water - will also stop the hot water.[/quote]

but i need to turn water back on as we live in the house we are ripping out, do I just add some kind of stop valves on the end of the pipes after we take out bath??

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:50 pm

Yes, putting the old taps back onto the tap connectors once you have removed the bath - provided they don't leak of course - is the simplest method.

Alternatively a couple of stop ends but you'll have to remove the tap connectors first.

Cheers

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:23 pm

Yes you can just fit ballofix valves or any isolation valve or just a stop end (blank).

yvonnepaul
Apprentice
Apprentice

by yvonnepaul » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:28 pm

[quote="htg engineer"]Yes you can just fit ballofix valves or any isolation valve or just a stop end (blank).[/quo

:D Thank you I am planning on removing the bath this weekend so now off to Wickes to buy what I need

thank you again you have been a great help

yvonnepaul
Apprentice
Apprentice

by yvonnepaul » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:42 pm

[quote="htg engineer"]Yes you can just fit ballofix valves or any isolation valve or just a stop end (blank).[/quote]

thank you for your advice and help have brought stop ends and will be pulling out bath in the morning

yvonnepaul
Apprentice
Apprentice

by yvonnepaul » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:43 pm

thanks for all your help and advice

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:58 pm

problaby too late but...

i have recently fitted a combi boiler and i fitted an isolator valve on the mains feed to the boiler precisely for this reason. you might want to consider it also.

simply turn off the mains at the stop cock, identify the cold main pipe feeding the boiler, cut into it then insert a ball-o-fix. takes minutes. you can now isolate the supply to the boiler and turn the main back on. and your heating will still function as normal.

more simply, whilst the main is off you could add a 22mm isolator valve to the hot (and cold whilst you are at it) pipes directly feeding the bath. you are probably going to want to do this anyway at some point during the refurb. i assume from the nature of your query that the existing installation does not have isolators.

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:03 pm