TV Extension cable....ok to run outside house?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mdemetri2
Tradesman
Tradesman

TV Extension cable....ok to run outside house?

by mdemetri2 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:21 pm

Ok, this may seem odd, but....

I want to put a tv on my bedroom wall and hide the cabling, I dont mind chasing out about 1-2ft got ariel and power to go up into the loft, but dont want to chase the entire wall right down to a power socket. I also dont want to be lifting carpets or floor boards.

So I was wandering, would I be able to run some pvc flexible 3 core (HO7 cable) from a plug socket opposite the tv, outside the house (below window) then into up into the loft to provide power for the tv?

I want to do this without making too much mess / plastering etc. And the above is the only way I can think of.....

Comments appreciated......

Cheers
Demetri

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:11 pm

You can fix cable to outside of house, for something like this I recommend you do intall a spur or a Fused Spur and chase the wall out.
Likely that after you've drilled through wall up and down stairs routed the cable, got a fed of another socket (that could mean damaging the plasterwork too)
bought the cable, fixed the cable to the outside wall etc....
That the material cost and your time will have out done any inconvenience regarding the wall chasing.

But would not use flex though or standard flat grey T&E, if I was, which I wouldn't :shock:

This stuff Google"tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Index/Hi-Tuf/index.html"
or this
Google "tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Index/Multi-Flex/index.html#Multiflex_3"
This addition will need RCD protection either at the consumer Unit or via a RCD Fused Connetion Unit (FCU)
KB

mdemetri2
Tradesman
Tradesman

by mdemetri2 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:59 am

Thanks for the reply, what your saying is actually creating a spur off an existing power point.

What I meant was can I make an extension cable with a plug at one end, feed the cable outside the house (bedroom) up into the loft space and add a plug socket on the end of the extension cable for the tv? Using pvc flexible HO7 cable.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:24 pm

In short no

mdemetri2
Tradesman
Tradesman

by mdemetri2 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:47 am

A spur it is then.

Thanks for all your help!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1