Twinslot Shelf Problem With Huge Gap Behind Plasterboard
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Soutermon
Labourer
Labourer

Twinslot Shelf Problem With Huge Gap Behind Plasterboard

by Soutermon » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:39 pm

Hi,

I tried to put up some twinslot shelfing but hit a bit of a problem. I've drilled the holes in the plasterboard for fixing it to the wall, but it has become apparent that there is a massive gap behind the plasterboard. On one side there is 4 inches before you hit the concrete wall and on the other there is nearly 8 inches. The plan is to use the shelves for laundry stuff, including the iron and some cleaning products, but I'm not sure if just rawl plugs in plasterboard will be enough to hold up the weight of it all.

Can someone tell me my options?

Woodcrafts_UK
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Twinslot Shelf Problem With Huge Gap Behind Plasterboard

by Woodcrafts_UK » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:55 pm

Use 'hollow wall' fixings. These are inserted through the hole, then use a setting tool to open the cage behind, giving a very secure fastening. Some people don't bother with the setting tool as, if you are careful, you can open the cage by screwing in the bolt. Once that's done, remove the bolt and pass it through the twinslot.
The other nice thing about these fixings, unlike spring toggles is that the bolt CAN be removed without the fixing falling down inside the wall.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:29 am