Two windows into one frame for partitioned room?
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
The Riviera Kid
Tradesman
Tradesman

Two windows into one frame for partitioned room?

by The Riviera Kid » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:22 pm

Hi folks, first of all, I hope this isn't too daft a sounding question....

Basically we could do with partitioning one long room with a single window in the middle (the window is around 2m wide) into two smaller rooms. The simplest way to do it, while retaining a window in each room, would appear to be to put two windows into the current space, maybe bricking up a space down the middle, then running a stud wall down the middle.

However I recall being a tenant in a house around 10 years ago where a similar long room was partitioned into two by what looked like two windows in one space, with a timber piece down the middle and a upvc fascia trim piece stuck/clipped over the middle (I recall this as it was originally hanging off when we first moved in).

I've since noticed a number of local houses with a similar arrangement - one space for a window, and what looks like two windows with a piece of upvc trim of some description down the middle.

Can anyone offer any information as to whether this is a common way to partition one large room with a large window into two smaller rooms. It would save a lot of hassle if we could simply partition the room at the same time has having the windows changed.

Thanks in advance, hope it's not too silly a question.

jimmybolts
Labourer
Labourer

by jimmybolts » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:38 pm

Well, you would be surprised how many people want to do this, especially in ex council houses. the best way I have found to do it is to use a square bay corner post which will be between 65 and 70 mm squared to join the two windows together. this should leave you around 100 mm to attach the studwork to. I know it is quite hard to picture this through descriptive text

Good luck

Jimmy

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:10 pm