Types of Adhesives
Fillers, sealants and adhesives for all types of DIY work. Help, advice and information on all aspects of this subject

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
refurbish18
Apprentice
Apprentice

Types of Adhesives

by refurbish18 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:12 pm

What is the difference between impact adhesives and grab adhesives. This is probably avery naive question but I want to stick some laminate to the edge of a Kitchen worktop and was going to use impact adhesive but was worried about not being able to move it if I did not get it perfectly right. Then somebody mentioned that I could use a grab adhesive but I am not sure if this is different or just another name for the same thing. :?:

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:33 pm

there are many grab adhesives on the market - grip fill, no more nails, sikaflex and many others. the are usually dispensed via a tube in an extruder gun (aka silicone gun to some people).

usually used for dado rails, skirtings etc and take around 24 hours to fully cure.

impact, or contact adhesive is applied in very thin coats to both surfaces to be bonded, allowed to dry and then the two surfaces pressed together. the bond is instant (hence contact adhesive) and can't be undone. whilst you do highlight the problem with using contact adhesive it is the right one to use in your case.

grab adhesive is usually applied a bit thicker and is difficult to get an all over coverage in your application. this may lead to loose bits which may get chipped off. best to take your time with the contact adhesive.

refurbish18
Apprentice
Apprentice

by refurbish18 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:53 pm

Thanks very much for that answer, I am pretty clear what the difference is now. I will take your advice and just be careful to get it right the first time.

Once again, thanks.

refurbish18
Apprentice
Apprentice

by refurbish18 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:17 pm

Hi

Just an update, did the job using impact adhesive, worked like a dream, no problems.

Once again thanks for the help.

kaylee
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Types of Adhesives

by kaylee » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:08 am

hi! Grab Adhesives from the word itself grab hold and fix many building materials while contact or impact adhesive are for non-porous materials such as laminate, metal or plastic, when being used with porous products such as wood or plywood, it is advisable to prime or seal the material first. This can be done with a thin layer of the adhesive itself, and although not always necessary, this will enable the best bond to be achieved.

crissy47
Labourer
Labourer

by crissy47 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:13 pm

i need to know what adhesive to use on a plastered wall to hold fittings for a curtain pole im a lady never done diy so am not happy using power tools thankyou

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:31 pm

crissy47,
Sorry but adhesives will not hold up a curtain pole for any length of time, it has to be mechanical fixings.
end

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:44 pm