Unable to drain central heating system
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
audunviking
Labourer
Labourer

Unable to drain central heating system

Post by audunviking » Mon May 12, 2008 8:04 pm

I would like to replace my current radiator in the bathroom but i am unable to work out how to drain my central heating system, i think it may be a closed system and as such i do not know where to drain it from. If you have any ideas please help me, i am going round the bend. Thanks

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Mon May 12, 2008 11:24 pm

You should find that there is a drain cock somewhere low down in the system to which you can attach a hose for draining purposes.

Failing that shut off all the valves to all the rads except the one you want to replace. Ensure you note how many turns on each of the locksheild valves so you can open them to the same amount later. That will hold the water in the rads and you only need to drain the pipework. Then you'll just have to crack the compression fitting at a rad valve low down in the system and let it out slowly - catching it as you go.

Cheers

audunviking
Labourer
Labourer

Post by audunviking » Tue May 13, 2008 7:43 pm

Thanks for that rosebery, i will have a lookfor the drain valve and hope i find one, if not i will try the other way you suggested, cheers mate :D

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

Post by ALDA » Tue May 13, 2008 8:11 pm

A,

SYSTEM DRAIN DOWN NOT REQUIRED, SIMPLY FULLY CLOSE BOTH RAD VALVES, CRACK THE RAD -TO -VALVE NUTS AND DRAIN THE RAD INTO SUITABLE RESEPTICLE.
FIT NEW RAD AND RECONNECT TO VALVES, OPEN VALVES AND REFILL /VENT/ ALSO REPRESSURISE IF COMBI SYSTEM.

ALDA.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1