under cabinet lights query neutral
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
animal
Labourer
Labourer

under cabinet lights query neutral

Post by animal » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:08 pm

how can I get a neutral to the switch, is it possible to take the neutral from a near by ringmain socket?

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:03 pm

No. Under no circumstances should you ever borrow a neutral this is very dangerous.

The two live wires that's neutral and line must both come from the same protective device. This has caused many problems in last 2 years where RCD's have been fitted and have highlighted borrowed neutral problems.

The neutral likely will need to come from the ceiling rose.

Also separating the line and neutral will also cause interference. Years ago it was common to use just a pair of wires between switches on two way switching. This has now been stopped and always three core and earth is used now not only because of borrowed neutral problems but to reduce mains hum on radios and TV's etc.

Any AC line must be correctly terminated if power is not going to leak. With 50Hz not really too much of a problem but if you talk to anyone using a CB they refer to SWR really it's vSWR but that does not really matter. But principle is the same and if the return does not follow same path as feed then you will get mains hum on all sorts including telephone, and internet connection and it could even cause the broad band connection to fail.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: under cabinet lights query neutral

Post by BLAKEY1963 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:04 pm

[quote="animal"]how can I get a neutral to the switch, is it possible to take the neutral from a near by ringmain socket?[/quote]

ANIMAL
I would not advise you to follow the practise of borrowing a neutral. Get some advice from your local electrician

BLAKEY1963

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:27 am