underfloor heating problems
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
hebs
Labourer
Labourer

Post by hebs » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:07 am

I have a conventional heating system with radiators,and a single room with underfloor heating,supplied from this system. This room is cold. I have bled the system and all the other radiators are working. I suspect an airlock in the UFH pipe or a UFH pump problem, but this is buried beneath a solid floor ( I am trying to avoid the mess of getting to it). Is there any way of bleeding the underfloor system without getting to the pump ?

Many thanks

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:29 pm

"Is there any way of bleeding the underfloor system without getting to the pump ?" probably not

Without seeing the installation it is quite difficult to answer.

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

Post by Perry525 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:34 pm

When installing underfloor heating it is always best to install a dedicated pump to boost the pressure through, what can be a quite long pipe run with all the additional resistance problems.
From reading your blog, I would guess that this under floor heating was tacked on to the original system, probably without taking the extra load into account. Check to see if you have a basic pump. Is the pump set up to maximum pressure? If not, turn it to maximum and see what happens.
If that doesn't do the trick, make a lash up that will deliver mains water pressure to the floor loop, try blowing it out.
Quite possibly if you have a cast iron boiler the pipe will be partly filled with rust, enough to bring the loop to a stop but not block it.
Best of luck.

roger196
Ganger
Ganger

Post by roger196 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:48 pm

Without knowing anything about your system, I can only suggest questions/advice in very general terms.
Has the UFH system ever worked correctly. If it has recently failed, what has happened to have caused this.
Are you sure there is a seperate UFH pump
If there is one, is there no access panel for maintenance ( ? under carpets)
Are there any isolation valves to the UFH system
Have you tried turning off all the other rads except one to force water thru the UFH system ( this assumes that it has not been isolated not has a separate pump). Turn the other rads down slowly.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1