Underfloor heating & the most efficient flooring type
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Paulwilson
Labourer
Labourer

Underfloor heating & the most efficient flooring type

by Paulwilson » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:54 pm

Please can you help me I have a pipex underfloor heating system and am trying to work out the most efficient type of flooring to go on top of it - tile, laminate etc.

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

by collectors » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:17 am

Worth having a look at cork as its come a long way in the last few years & is quite & warm under foot.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:18 pm

cork wouldn't really work with underfloor heating, as it's a reasonably efficient thermal insulator it would not allow the heat to pass through very well. not a bad choice though if no underfloor heating is present as it is naturally quite warm underfoot, although not to everybody's taste.

carpet not suitable for much the same reason.

ceramic tiles work well at absorbing and radiating the heat from the underfloor source although they can be pretty cold underfoot when the heating is not on.

most types of timber and laminate flooring can also be used with underfloor heating though you should check the manufacturer's spec to make sure it's compatible. warmer than ceramic underfoot with the heating off. however, timber/laminate is not the most efficient thermal conductor so my choice would be ceramic/porcelain/stone.

pays yer money, takes yer choice.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:56 pm