Underground drain pipes not sealed off
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bornlivelife
Apprentice
Apprentice

Underground drain pipes not sealed off

by bornlivelife » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:06 pm

HI

This is the last post on this now, as I think i finally know the problem

some drains were moved outside my semi to enable an extension to be built

the drains were not sealed and thre are cavities under the extension which have rats in them, somehow the area has opeened up such that they can get into an internal wall in the house

i can either put conrete in the internal wall, or can pump it up a disused branch of a drain

which is best or what should i do , please !!

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:18 pm

If there is an unused branch of a drain it can be blocked certainly. You can buy stoppers which are usually used for blocking drains while they are tested for leaks but they can be used for this also. They screw into the drain and can be unscrewed again if ever they need to be but they can also stop in permanantly. You can buy them from any builders merchants.

bornlivelife
Apprentice
Apprentice

by bornlivelife » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:38 pm

yes thanks

i have one already in 1 branch

problem is there is a disused cavity deeper inside

so wondering if i could pump conrete deepinside in an attmept to fill it

dont want to pump too far though as it will go down another disused branch from disued manhole under extension whichwill eventually lead back to a used main sewer

if i can pump maybe 2 metres down, then i should be ok...

id also like to pump down through the cavity wall untill the 2 pumped laods meet, but i think u said i cant pump into an internal wall that was once external

bornlivelife
Apprentice
Apprentice

by bornlivelife » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:11 pm

one of the unused pipes i have blocked yes

problem is the other one is not accesible (under extension)

however if i pump conret into the first one it should eventually flow into the second one, as long as i dont pump too far which will blcok the whole thing !

u reckon i can just pump in maybe 3 metres worth of pipe length?

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:28 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:36 pm