Underground drainage change in direction
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
navvy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Underground drainage change in direction

by navvy » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:39 pm

Whenever the pipes change direction should there be a manhole / inspection chamber with a cover?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Underground drainage change in direction

by stoneyboy » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:53 pm

Hi navvy
For below ground soil pipes - yes.
Regards S

navvy
Apprentice
Apprentice

by navvy » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:45 am

Thanks stonyboy. The semi detached next door is being renovated by a amateur developer due to the death of my previous neighbour. We share a combined sewage system and where it changes direction (90*) in his curtilage, to the main sewer, there is a buried shallow pit but minus cover plate. However there must something preventing soil from blocking sewer pipe. There has been a blockage there, twice, due a tree root in the past. I advised him of this and indicated where it could be found.
He said he couldn't find it. I have repeatedly told it is there as I have seen it but he does not believe me. Should I inform Building Control or wait until the new owner takes occupancy and let him know there should be a visible inspection pit cover? I don't know why the pit has not blocked, so far, as he has levelled the soil where the pit is?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:24 pm

Hi navvy
For some while now your local water board has been responsible for drains serving more than one property. So if the drains on your land only serves your home then you are responsible for them up to your boundary, from there onwards it is down to the water board. If a blockage occurs they have to sort it.
Regards S

navvy
Apprentice
Apprentice

by navvy » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:32 am

That's great to know, thanks stoneyboy.

blakeriley
Apprentice
Apprentice

by blakeriley » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:09 pm

An inspection chamber is needed wherever the pipework changes direction with an angle of more than 30dg, if there’s a change in pipe size, or if two pipes come together at a junction of more than 45dg. These should either be accessible through an inspection chamber or a rodding eye.

navvy
Apprentice
Apprentice

by navvy » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:09 pm

Thanks, the angle is 90* so my neighbour will have to install a cover plate. He has now turfed over the inspection pit.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:13 am