Understanding my heating system
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
glr
Labourer
Labourer

Understanding my heating system

Post by glr » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:08 pm

I have purchased a new house with an oil fired boiler which is located in the garage. Some of the radiators do not get hot. The system has a blue vessel built into the pipe work close to the boiler. I do not believe the system is toped up by a cold storage tank. Does this vessel help to maintain the system pressure – the vessel is not fitted with a water top-up facility and does not have a gauge, it is manufactured by Grunfos.

Can you please give me an explanation of what the purpose of this vessel is?

Should the boiler have some sort of frost protection because it is outside of the house?

Thanks for any help

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:01 pm

glr,
The vessel is probably a pressure chamber which has a ballon in it filled with air, this allow the system to expand and contract. Pressurising the system is done by using mains water and you may find the mains is already plumbed into the system but it should be isolated by two valves.
Recommend that you fit a pressure gauge or use a filling loop which incorporates one, aim for about 1.5 bar.
Yes the boiler should have a frost stat so that it fires when the temperature drops to near freezing.
end

glr
Labourer
Labourer

Pressure Vessel

Post by glr » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:09 am

Soneboy thanks for the clear information,

My oil fired system is fitted with this vessel (Grunfos) and I have been told that the preesure is toped up constantly from the header tank in the loft, so as I see it, the system is an 'open system'. Why in this case do they also install this vessel?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:07 pm

glr,
Have you been into your loft and checked to see if you have a header tank.
end

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:27 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1