UNEARTHED METAL WALL LIGHTS - DANGEROUS?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
boyerpssj
Labourer
Labourer

UNEARTHED METAL WALL LIGHTS - DANGEROUS?

by boyerpssj » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:24 am

Hi I have been reading the other entries about earthing metal fittings and [color=green]from what I have read believe that if they are not earthed it is DANGEROUS!

However today I called out a qualified electrician to replace my old wall lights with metal ones, as I wanted to make sure that it was done properly as I have two young children in the house. After he had gone I noticed that he had not earthed the new fittings and that the earth wires are in a connector block in the wall. Is this right? Am I missing something, the light instructions say 'this fitting needs to be earthed, if in doubt consult a qualified electrician'.

Also the lights are on a dimmer switch (the same as before) however they are flickering when on low, could this be because they are not earthed? I am tempted to do it myself as it seems the 'electrician' may not have done it safely.

What do you think- could he have earthed the fitting another way other than connecting the earth wire to the earth connection screw on the light fitting?

Any comments/advice appreciated, many thanks.[color=green][/color][/color]

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:38 pm

It does at first read seem your electrician may have made a mistake and thought the lights were class 2. But other things don't quite seem right either.
How can you see the connector block in the wall? If you have removed the lights to inspect his work could you have dislodged the earth while inspecting?
And yes he may have connected the earth else where.
On Part 3 of the Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate the essential test results are listed 1. Earth continuity satisfactory will be ticked if he realized it was Class 1 but not if he thought it was Class 2 also there will be a reading 3. Earth fault loop impedance will have a value if class 1 and not for class 2. The form has to be given to person ordering work so normally he would return it to his boss who would forward it on as he may be unaware as if there is a landlord or not so he may not have given it to you yet.
I am sure if you say you are worried most electricians will either admit there may be an error and return and check or tell you how it is earthed and reading which he noted at the time.

boyerpssj
Labourer
Labourer

by boyerpssj » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:30 pm

Thanks for your reply. To explain a little further, I removed the glass shades from the wall lights to decorate around the light fittings, and it was then that I saw there was no earth wire connected to the earth connection screw on the metal light fitting. I can see the wiring in the wall as the new lights were fitted slightly lower than the originals so there is a hole above the new fitting which needs to be made good.

I will give the electrician a call as you suggested on Monday, however since posting on this forum I have connected an earth wire with some sleeving to the earth connection screw on the light and then connected the other end into the connector block in the wall that the earth wire is in. The lights are no longer flickering when I use the dimmer switch now. Not sure if that is coincidence or because the light fitting is now earthed. I will tell the electrician what I have done. But that should be okay now shouldn't it?

boyerpssj
Labourer
Labourer

by boyerpssj » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:35 pm

Thanks for your reply. To explain a little further, I removed the glass shades from the wall lights to decorate around the light fittings, and it was then that I saw there was no earth wire connected to the earth connection screw on the metal light fitting. I can see the wiring in the wall as the new lights were fitted slightly lower than the originals so there is a hole above the new fitting which needs to be made good.

I will give the electrician a call as you suggested on Monday, however since posting on this forum I have connected an earth wire with some sleeving to the earth connection screw on the light and then connected the other end into the connector block in the wall that the earth wire is in. The lights are no longer flickering when I use the dimmer switch now. Not sure if that is coincidence or because the light fitting is now earthed. I will tell the electrician what I have done. But that should be okay now shouldn't it?

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:34 am