unfit water tank in our loft used by people downstairs
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tanna
Labourer
Labourer

unfit water tank in our loft used by people downstairs

by tanna » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:18 pm

Hello, Im hoping someone can help me shed some light on this...

I live in a maisonette - Im on the first floor and there is someone on the ground floor.

We both had combi boilers and it was assumed that the plastic water tank in our loft was redundant so we switched it off to get it removed since it is in a state of disrepair, has no over flow pipe, lid etc.

It turns out that when we turned it off, whilst our water supply was unaffected, the downstairs folk said that they werent getting any cold water to their bath room taps.

To add to the confusion, during this time, the downstairs folk also changed their boiler from a combi to a regular.

Can anyone shed any light on what is going on here? Are the 2 related? is it because they switched from a combi to a regular? Or is it that simple that the downstairs folk get their cold water to their bath taps from the terrible old tank in our loft? Can they not get it directly from anywhere else?

Many thanks in advance, Tanna

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:50 pm

Bathrooms are sometimes fed from a tank in the loft and only the kitchen is mains fed.

The tank can be removed just connect the cold water inlet to the tank to the outlet of the tank. Or connect bath, toilet and basin to the mains cold water in the flat.

htg

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:45 pm

I was thinking the same as Htg engineer as I read the post, but when I got to the bit about changing from a combi to a "regular" boiler, that clouded the issue.

Are you sure they changed from a combi to a conventional boiler? That is rather a backwards step or at the best a sideways step?

If a conventional boiler IS utilised, the tank may not be so easily removed. Really, someone needs to carefully examine the plumbing arrangements to see exactly why the tank is still there and what it feeds.

tanna
Labourer
Labourer

thank you

by tanna » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:49 am

Thank you both....we're getting a plumber in to check. Also, it looks like the guys downstairs are trying now to get a combi bolier! They got the wrong one the 1st time! how does that happen :shock:

Thank you for you help, we're looking into tapping into the kitchen mains to feed the adjacent bathroom, when they swap the bolier over...failing that, i guess we have to just make the tank fit for use...

Is a strange set up...

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:29 pm

Sorry... I should read the posts properly and not skip through them, As plumbbob says you need to establish what the tank feeds first, if it's anything to do with the heating system then I would argue that it's upgraded or at leat have an overflow fitted - if it overflows you'll get all the damage - not them downstairs.

htg

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:35 pm