Unsure on Wiring a new Light Fitting and Need a bit of Help
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
RegPrescott123
Labourer
Labourer

Unsure on Wiring a new Light Fitting and Need a bit of Help

by RegPrescott123 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:00 pm

I am trying to replace a ceiling light fitting and I have just taken down the old fitting and now I am unsure how to wire up the new fitting!

The wires coming out from the ceiling are yellow/green (earth) then three black wires, each of them have a red wire attached and also a yellow/green wire looped across. I am a complete novice, but have done some simple wiring successfully and do understand that the light switch is obviously connected across other light switches downstairs (as these are now not working as my light fitting hasn't been wired up!) I also understand that one of the wires is a S/L (Switch live) but unsure which one. The light fitting I am trying to connect has an earth (yellow/green) wire and also a brown (live) and also a blue wire (neutral).

Can someone please tell me how to wire this correctly?
Attachments
Light wiring.jpg

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Unsure on Wiring a new Light Fitting and Need a bit of Help

by Mr White » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:52 am

You need to find which wire is the switch wire, you then connect the other two blacks together and connect your light across the switch wire (single black) and the neutral (two blacks)
You will need a multi meter to find out which is the switch wire.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Unsure on Wiring a new Light Fitting and Need a bit of Help

by BLAKEY1963 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:26 am

Reg prescott123

Just to add to Mr White s Advice , , you would make that the mains is isolated before you use your multimeter on omhs/continuity scales.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:30 pm