Upgrading Existing Conversion Insulation for Sound and Thermal Improvement
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cksky
Apprentice
Apprentice

Upgrading Existing Conversion Insulation for Sound and Thermal Improvement

by cksky » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:24 pm

Hi my loft was converted between 1980-1990, it is cold and noisy as we are adjacent to a busy road. I'm hoping to upgrade the insulation and plaster board to improve thermal and sound qualities room by room. The first room has 100mm rafters with 50mm glass wool to the vertical stud walls and sloping ceiling.
I understand that Celotex type insulation gives better thermal performance than wool but wool gives better sound insulation. I'm also limited to thickness between rafters to leave 50mm air gap.
I have also been looking at acoustic wool slab but I'm unsure if this is suitable for use between the rafters in the ceiling.
Also if i decide to overlay the rafters with Celotex and seal the joints for vapour barrier. What method is there for wall fixings?
Most importantly do I need building control for this?
Thank you.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Upgrading Existing Conversion Insulation for Sound and Thermal Improvement

by TheDoctor4 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:22 am

Hi

Not too sure if you have seen but we do have a project on soundproofing in the home that may be of assistance to you: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/so ... e_home.htm

Additionally the company that helped us produce the page are well voiced in soundproofing techniques and products so it might be worth a call to them for some more in-depth advice

Hope this helps

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:46 pm