Upstairs lighting
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
korka
Apprentice
Apprentice

Upstairs lighting

by korka » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:48 pm

Hi, before i was going to change an old pull cord switch in my bathroom to replace with a new one, I unscrewed it from the ceiling to see if i needed any tape for new wire colours, I done this before switching the RCD off and the black (live to light from switch??) wire poped out, it didnt touch any other wire or anythig metal but it did pop, I isolated the power and have reconnected the wire, now however my landing light and small bedroom light work but my bathroom light and 2 main bedroom lights do not work. Please, does anyone know why?? :?
Thank you
Dan

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:07 pm

Hi korka,
Have a look inside the ceiling roses for loose connection, i'd start in the bathroom as that is where it seems to have stemmed from. But check them all because if you have loop in circiut and a cables have come out off the terminals, it will stop power going to all the lights that are connected after that one.
Best of Luck
KB

korka
Apprentice
Apprentice

by korka » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:14 am

Thanks Kbrownie, I will have a look this morning and let you know, I hope thats all it is, she`ll kill me if we have another night without lights in the bathroom :D

korka
Apprentice
Apprentice

by korka » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:55 am

Hi again, I have checked all of the light switches and all of the ceiling roses for any loose connections and I was gutted to find out that they were all secure, not one loose wire. This has completely stumped me as I cant think of any other reason for it not to work?? When it all started, I pulled down the switch to look at the wires, and the black wire snapped at the switch leaving a bit in the socket and an exposed bit on the end of the cable, as it snapped there was a popping noise, I just presumed that the wire had come out and so isolated the power and tried to reinsert the wire to the switch. In doing this could it have tripped anything else, the rcd board shows everything normal???

Confused????????

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:07 pm