upvc double glazed french doors have dropped
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
needhelpfast
Labourer
Labourer

upvc double glazed french doors have dropped

Post by needhelpfast » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:09 am

hi,
how do i adjust my doors?
they are upvc d/glazed and I find it difficult to close one side which has obviously dropped as there is a gap at the top.
thanks

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

adjusting doors

Post by welsh brickie » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:17 am

on the hinges of the doors there is a small plastic cap or caps
once removed you will see an adjustment screw.Use an allen key and turn
the key till you see the door move.
There are usually three hinges on each door ,you will have to adjust each one in turn till the door becomes free.
If your door is in the sun all day and its only catching in the afternoon
wait untill the evening as the doors will expand in the sun.

allan the locksmith
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by allan the locksmith » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:57 pm

Im assuming the doors just have one big piece of glass ? If so adjusting the hinges may work but if there is a gap then most likely the hinge adjustment wont be enough. In this case the doors need "toe and healing" which is where you pack out the glass to make the door frame square again.The weight of the glass can make the frame go out of square,measure corner to corner to confirm this.
Once its been toe and healed it should be fine again. google for how to do it as a few guides are out there.
Failure to get this sorted will eventually mean the lock will fail and is the most common reason i see for failure of multipoint locks on french doors.If the lock fails it could means bills of over £200 to get it opened and replaced as some are a real pig to open if failed in the locked position with hooks etc.

thedoctor

Re: upvc double glazed french doors have dropped

Post by thedoctor » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:02 pm

Please take a look at our projects pages on doors for information related to this subject which include information on how to replace or fix UPVC and PVCu windows and doors.

Hope this helps.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:08 am