DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Using a loss assessor for water leak damage in flat below

Postby Paul28 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:22 pm

Hello, I'm looking for some advice please :)

My bath has leaked causing damage to the ceiling of the flat below. My downstairs neighbour has brought in a loss assessor to look at the damage to his flat and they've suggested my subfloor and joists need to be assessed. My insurance have said I can use the same loss assessor that my neighbour used to look at my subfloor (my neighbour and his loss assessor have also encouraged this).

Can anyone advise if there is a downside/conflict of interest if I use the same loss assessor as my neighbour? It would be handy as they've already viewed the subfloor from below but I can't decide if this would be appropriate or not.

I am genuinely not trying to shirk any responsibility and want to make good on the damage for my neighbour and have reassurance that the joists/floor are sound. But I want to make sure I go about it the right way.

On a related note, I've seen a number of forums where they advise loss assessors are best used for big jobs (appreciate there may indeed be damage to the subfloor but my plumber has looked at it and is flabbergasted - he maintains it will dry out and is £300 to fix the ceiling at most). Should I perhaps forget a loss assessor and get a tradesman in that can assess it instead (would a joiner be best?).

Advice would be very welcome!
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:54 pm


Simply Build It

Postby stoneyboy » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:16 pm

Hi paul28
Loss assessors are usually appointed where a claim for an incident involves a number of insurance companies.
From your post you are liable for all damage so all that needs to happen is your neighbour gets quotes for the repairs and submits them to you/your insurance company.
Undoubtedly the involvement of a loss assessor will increase costs but since your insurance will be paying does this matter?
Regards S
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 5340
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:44 pm

Postby Paul28 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:00 am

Hi Stoneyboy
Good point! Actually I've been told that my neighbour will have to go through their insurance first who then recoup from my insurance but ultimately, as you note, it will be paid for my insurance. If the insurance are unhappy with the quotes (which they may not be) I assume they can then use their loss adjusters to challenge. Thanks for simplifying it down so well! P
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:54 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics