Using a Rubber Roof for a Shed Instead of Traditional Felt
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jimbojones
Labourer
Labourer

Using a Rubber Roof for a Shed Instead of Traditional Felt

by jimbojones » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:45 am

Hi All

I am currently building a shed from scratch (my own design) and was thinking of what to use in terms of roofing.

Traditional felt deteriorates over time so I want something that's going to last so was considering using a rubber roof covering such as epdm etc....

Has anyone got any experience in using this type of roofing, hints, tips etc....?

Cheers

thedoctor

Re: Using a Rubber Roof for a Shed Instead of Traditional Felt

by thedoctor » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:50 am

Hi

EPDM is a good route to go down and if installed correctly should last you a good long while.

If you want some more info including how to construct different types of roofs then check out our roofing projects here: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/diy-how-to-type/roofing.htm

Information on rubber roofs can be found in this project here: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/bu ... t_roof.htm

Hope this helps

prothos.services
Apprentice
Apprentice

by prothos.services » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:16 pm

EPDM is a great material if installed correctly. I see a lot of problems arising from poorly adheared membranes and detailing work.

A few tips.
Make sure you use ample wood adheasive and leave the glue for 10-15 minutes or untill it goes clear and tacky
For detail work such as edges and trims, use contact adheasive on both surfaces and again, leave for 10-15 minutes to go tacky before marrying the two together.
Pull back small sections of the rubber at a time when gluing down, dont try and do the whole lot at once as it may not go down straight and creases and bubbles will appear during curing.

Hope this helps!

phillipflood
Labourer
Labourer

by phillipflood » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:53 am

I'd definitely say to go the EPDM route. Dead easy to install and probably the most cost effective option.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:06 pm