Using Base Paint
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dchopp
Apprentice
Apprentice

Using Base Paint

by dchopp » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:19 pm

I have removed all the paper from the ceilings and walls of my recently purchased 40 year old house with the intention of having just painted walls on the original plaster.

I have scraped and washed off much of the paper and paste but there are patches where the underlying original paint is uneven and flaky. I have used filler for the large screw holes etc and a fine filler which I have sanded down to get the walls and ceilings as smooth as possible and this hasd been quite/very succesful so far with 3/4 coats of matt paint

I have noticed that there is a Polycell Base Paint to cover such problemsbut not seen any suggestions on this forum to use it.

Can anybody adviseon this

Thanks

David

arbucleuk
Apprentice
Apprentice

by arbucleuk » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:46 pm

I have used it on all my walls aftern been skimmed and i have a few friends who have used it on old walls and so far no complaints and from my point of view would highy recomend it.

Its alot thicker then standard paint but easy enough to applie with a roller and gives a top finish in my opinion

Little tip though

B&Q do there own version (same tubs as well) and to be honest i think its the same product and a bit cheaper so i would say go with that.

JIMLLFIXIT
Apprentice
Apprentice

TRY USING DRYLINERS TAPE AND JOINTING COMPOUND. WITH SPATULA

by JIMLLFIXIT » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:18 pm

[quote="dchopp"]I have removed all the paper from the ceilings and walls of my recently purchased 40 year old house with the intention of having just painted walls on the original plaster.

I have scraped and washed off much of the paper and paste but there are patches where the underlying original paint is uneven and flaky. I have used filler for the large screw holes etc and a fine filler which I have sanded down to get the walls and ceilings as smooth as possible and this hasd been quite/very succesful so far with 3/4 coats of matt paint

I have noticed that there is a Polycell Base Paint to cover such problemsbut not seen any suggestions on this forum to use it.

Can anybody adviseon this

Thanks

David[/quote]

JIMLLFIXIT
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Using Base Paint

by JIMLLFIXIT » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:23 pm

[quote="dchopp"]I have removed all the paper from the ceilings and walls of my recently purchased 40 year old house with the intention of having just painted walls on the original plaster.

Can anybody adviseon this TAPE AND JOINTING COMPOUND FOR UNEVEN WALLS. b&Q 13.99 USE PLASTIC SPATULA USALLY ON SAME SHELVE OR NEARBY 4.99 LOAD SPATULA AND GLIDE ACROSS WALL NOT TO THICK ALLOW TO DRY SAND LIGHT REPEAT VERY SIMPLE VERY EFFECTIVE .

Thanks

David[/quote]

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:49 am