Using gravel boards as a retaining wall for new fence
Topics ranging from metal fencing, wooden fencing and concrete fencing to name just a few. find answers and post your questions here

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jward88
Labourer
Labourer

Using gravel boards as a retaining wall for new fence

by Jward88 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:02 pm

I am looking at putting a new 6 ft fence at the bottom of the garden and laying turf. The soil at the bottom of the garden is bad and so would be looking at putting somewhere around 150 - 300mm of top soil down to improve the quality and raise the garden slightly.

Would putting concrete gravel boards (Dimensions(H)50 x (W)1830 x (D)145mm) under the fence be an appropriate way to act as a retaining wall?

So once finished I would be looking at 2ft concrete post buried, 1ft gravel board, 5ft of wooden fence. Once I had the soil and turf it would leave the bottom of the garden to be up to 1ft higher on my side of the fence , covering the gravel board. Would that have a detrimental affect on the structure of the fence?

Cheers

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Using gravel boards as a retaining wall for new fence

by stoneyboy » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:54 pm

Hi jward88
Your plan should be fine but pick good quality gravel boards and posts - the cheap ones are not up to the job. Also the size of the holes for your posts will depend on ground conditions.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm