Using OSB 3 on garage roof
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kenwalker
Labourer
Labourer

Using OSB 3 on garage roof

Post by kenwalker » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:12 pm

"Profiled edges are usually matching tongue and groove and remove the need to provide support at all edges on plain boards. Boards may be profiled on all four edges or on long edges only."

The above info is quoted from the Wood Panel Industries Federation website.

Am I correct in saying that if I use boards with T&G on all 4 sides that I won't require to use extra pieces of wood between the joists to support the short edges?

This is in connection with re-roofing a garage/shed 11.1m x 3.5m which is presently covered with corrugated cement/asbestos sheets. The present joists won't line up well enough for securing the board edges without a lot of fill in pieces.I am thinking about using EPDM for a top covering as it looks reasonably straightforward for DIY. One EPDM supplier (can't remember which website now) also stated that using the T&G on all sides OSB doesn't need any additional supports but I'd rather be 100% sure before starting.

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:22 am

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

kenwalker
Labourer
Labourer

Post by kenwalker » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:32 am

I tried that before I posted.
Unfortunately no one on this forum seems to know the answer although as mostly Pros I thought that they would considering that they use it all the time.

thedoctor

Post by thedoctor » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:37 pm

Securing timbers to roofs requires insertion of noggins on any edges between joists. If a roof timber moves and expands, the covering can split. It is better to have many more joints as long as they are firmly fixed to timbers than only a couple of joints which are not. Trying to get timbers to fit with unsupported joints will cause long term problems.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:02 am