Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
manda
Labourer
Labourer

uvpc vs coloured glass on ledge

by manda » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:55 pm

Hello,

My bathroom ledge is currently tiled but I'd really like a completely smooth finish. I've been recommended uvpc and colour glass. Which is best?? Will both stand up to a certain amount of damp if family forget to open windows! Someone said the glass would need to be lifted and cleaned from time to time.

Thanks so much!

toplondonchef
Ganger
Ganger

by toplondonchef » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:36 pm

Hi Manda

UPVC when used as a window sill has a tendency to become scratched and dirty looking after time

Coloured glass would make a great option here but can work out quite pricy, although tough and long lasting
Use a glass company that supplies and fits glass kitchen splashbacks as each piece is custom cut to fit perfectly
Usually a plywood template is cut first to ensure a perfect fit and then the glass is cut from this, with a huge range of colours available

If your a confident DIY'er, you could template and fit glass yourself and ask the glass company to supply only

UPVC or glass will not be damaged by the amount of steam that is produced on average in a bathroom and the bit about lifting the glass from time to time to clean is not the case

The glass is bonded to the surface of the ledge using mirror/glass adhesive and using wedges to level
You would then seal around edges with silicone to stop moisture and dust from getting under the glass, also leaving a neat finish

Hope that this helps you decide

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:07 am

toplondonchef has covered it - provided you get a proper seal around the edges then no dust and dirt should not be able to collect. you may end up with condensation under the glass though with variations in temperature that could lead to mildew. just make sure the area is nice and dry and try to do it on a dry day with the window open to minimise the amount of moisture that gets trapped inside. should be fine though.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:31 am