Vailant Boiler Issue - System Dropping Pressure and Ejecting Water When Hot
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
alig31
Apprentice
Apprentice

Vailant Boiler Issue - System Dropping Pressure and Ejecting Water When Hot

by alig31 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:59 pm

Hi all,

I have a bit of an issue with my Vaillant TurboMAX Plus 837 combi boiler.

The system keeps dropping pressure. There is no leak, the water is being ejected via the 3 bar pressure relief valve but only when the water is hot. I have topped the boiler up at night (to 2 Bar) after it cools and in the morning the pressure has remained and no water has been ejected but when the boiler is on, the water pressure doesn't get above 3 bar but water is ejected even when the pressure only rises to 2 bar. There is air pressure in the expansion vessel.

The PRV is the prime suspect, but just wanted to ask if anyone had any other thoughts, just because it only passes water when the water is hot.

Thanks in advance

Al

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Vailant Boiler Issue - System Dropping Pressure and Ejecting Water When Hot

by plumbbob » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:18 pm

From the symptoms you descibe, I would not consider the prv as a prime suspect. Generally, prv's fail by constantly dribbling redardless of whether the boiler is on or not.

The Vaiilant pressure should kept at around 1to 1.5 bar. Anything greater is not necessary and simply puts a greater strain on the rest of the system.

With the system cold, and it must be cold, pressurise to one bar then fire the heating up. Watch the gauge constantly as the system warms. If the pressure rises above 2 bar, the pressure vessel could be the culprit, and needs testing.

Werdna
Labourer
Labourer

by Werdna » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:08 pm

Did you check the air pressure in the expansion vessel when you had 0 water pressure in the boiler i.e you drained it first?

alig31
Apprentice
Apprentice

by alig31 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:13 pm

All sorted now. Thanks for all who replied. Just for the record it was the PRV

Regards
alig

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1