Vapour barrier between plasterboard and ceiling joists
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
eddie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Vapour barrier between plasterboard and ceiling joists

by eddie » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:47 pm

Hi

At the moment doing some work on our new extention, I have plaster boarded the bedroom and passage ceiling however when I had 5 minutes I looked up the building info that was given to me by the guy who drew my plans and subsequently went forward to be passed by building control and on it he recommended that a vapour barrier goes between the plasterboard and ceiling joists and then loft insulation on top of the vapour barrier, through out the new extention.

Anyway long story short, I have'nt done this in the bedroom or passage way. would it make a difference, I can understand it being done in the bathroom but not the other rooms.

I don't really want to strip out the ceilings I've done as the loft space is well ventilated and no other room in the house has this membrane between the plasterboard and roof/ceiling joists.

What are the problems I face If I just go ahead and do the bathroom ceiling

Cheers

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:34 pm

Hi eddie,
As I understand it, it's to do with condensation reaching the loft space and creating moisture in the roof. That's why they (The building controls) instruct you to supply a vapour barrier and insulation to stop warm air mixing with cold air in the roof space.
If the Controls have told you to do this, they will most probally want to inspect the work on completion and will ask you to replace it. I'm not sure if there's a way around it, may board over using the correct method.
Regards
KB

blackcat
Tradesman
Tradesman

by blackcat » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:03 pm

as about foil backed plaster board vapour barriers pian in the a**
________
Chevrolet Malibu specifications

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:06 pm