Vapour resistant down lighters
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Tristanemptage
Labourer
Labourer

by Tristanemptage » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:40 pm

I've been asked by my building inspector to use vapour resistant downlighters in a new vaulted ceiling which has a breathable membraine. I've looked everywhere but cannot find any mention of these type of ligghts... anyone have any ideas?

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:23 pm

I will guess he is referring to an IP rating. And this is how you will select them by looking for example IP65 which is most likely what he wants ask him what IP rating he requires.

Tristanemptage
Labourer
Labourer

by Tristanemptage » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:29 pm

Thanks for the advice, I would say though that this is a dinning area not a kitchen or bathroom so won't encounter water. I believe the concern is due the the worry that condensation will build up on the breathable membrane and drip onto the light fittings.... I think?

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:00 am

IP rating first number is Protection of equipment against ingress of solid foreign objects and second number is Protection of equipment
against ingress of water so IPX1 would Protection against vertically falling water drops and IPX2 Protected against vertically falling water drops when enclosure tilted up to 15°. Vertically falling water drops shall have no harmful effect when the enclosure is tilted at any angle up to 15° from the vertical as the number increase up to IPX8 then Protection against the effects of continuous immersion in water under conditions agreed with a manufacturer.
it can also have a letter at the end and where there it is not required for what you are doing we use X to space out to correct place so IP56 would satisfy a request for IPX6 or IP5X for outside use IP56 is normal and as you can see if you have any IP rating you will be protected from drips. I think he should have given you the IP rating he wanted rather than such a vague request. Not very fair of him.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:06 am