Velux window installation on shed/office/man cave
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DIYDAN2
Labourer
Labourer

Velux window installation on shed/office/man cave

by DIYDAN2 » Sun May 24, 2020 10:28 am

Hi. This is my first post on here hope it works. I'm on a shed/office/mancave build. I was given a couple of new velux (not original brand) windows 10 years ago when a mate emigrated to NZ, I've been sitting on them ever since. I've decided to install them in my build but when I opened them up it seems something is missing. I've included a picture so you can see what I mean. Shouldn't there be some kind of metal cover on the top section like there is on the bottom? Another mate said he thinks It comes with the flashing kit which I can get from screwfix. I had a look on their website but it's not clear to me. Also, regarding the flashing, there seem to be different types and I'm not sure which one I need. They all talk about slate tiles or normal tiles. I'm going to be using high quality polyester reinforced felt. The windows are centre hinge 550x780. The roof is a pent and will have a pitch of just over 10 degrees (if I've done my maths correctly). Any advice much appreciated. The base is made and the rest of the build starts in earnest on Wed! I really hope I can use these windows, I don't want to keep them for another 10 years! Cheers.
Attachments
20200524_100443_compress89_resize_70.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Velux window installation on shed/office/man cave

by stoneyboy » Sun May 24, 2020 10:31 pm

Hi diydan2
You need a flashing kit for a slate roof - get the model number of your veluxes (its inside the window) and find a velux dealer who can order the right ones for you.
You need to check the minimum roof angle, I think it's around 15 deg.
Regards S

DIYDAN2
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Velux window installation on shed/office/man cave

by DIYDAN2 » Tue May 26, 2020 10:25 am

Thanks for that. Helpful info. Going to order the flashing kits today.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:57 am