ventillation cavity - buying a property
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
stone_arch
Labourer
Labourer

ventillation cavity - buying a property

Post by stone_arch » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:01 pm

Hello everyone,

I am planning to purchase a property and have one concern. I am attaching the image of the property. The main rein size. The reception room of the property has a cavity hole on the front where there is ventillation vent installed. The hole runs from the vent to the internal wall of the house and is 6inch * 12inch.

I am worried that because of the hole there will be cold wind blowing in the room and thereby keeping heating bills high. There is a fireplace in the reception room but I dont intend to use it.

My question is can I block the hole with cement or other insulation material. Do i need any planning permission or freeholder approvals for this. All other houses in the road have no such visible vent.

I would appreciate expert opinions on the matter

rgds,
Archie

Google "ellisandco.co.uk/property-details/greater-london/willesden/27-churchill-road"

Cheesie1
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by Cheesie1 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:11 pm

U can block the vent as long as fire is under 7KW and manufacturers state it doesn't need ventilation (regardless of whether ur going to use it) if it needs ventilation u should leave it, or change the fire to one that doesn't need ventilation

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:01 pm

The vent will be for the fire, block the vent by all means but you will have to have the fire isolated/adapted so it cannot be used.

I have all original vents in my house - fully open. Nearly every other house in my street have had them removed/blocked. They provide fresh air to enter the room, and prevent stale air accumulating. It also prevents condensation, mould, unpleasant odours etc etc.

Fresh air is good for you, in a living area you want about 4 air changes per hour. I don't understand why people don't like fresh air in their homes, A human being needs 3000 cft of fresh air each hour.

htg

stone_arch
Labourer
Labourer

Post by stone_arch » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:51 pm

Thanks cheesie1 and htgenigeer for your replies. That gives me more comfort in buying the property

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1