Venting a Mobile AC Unit up an old Chimney?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Venting a Mobile AC Unit up an old Chimney?

Post by ericmark » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:24 am

I have bought a small mobile AC, only 650 watt so really very small, but enough to be able to close windows and stop the flies, however it comes with a pipe which is seems is designed to go out of a sash window, however I don't have sash windows, so it means making some sort of mask to be able to close the gap hinge to catch side of window.

However I have an unused open fire, there is a chimney so why not send the hot air up the chimney? I have done just that, some soot came down to start with, so I removed the drain on the AC allowing the condensate to drain into a bucket, so not sending moisture up the flue and it seems to work. No open windows, so no flies.

So considering making a better mask around the fire opening, duel job, one connect AC in summer, two stop lost of heat up it in winter, but before making it, is there anything wrong in using a open fire chimney as the flue for a portable AC.

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1