VERTICAL RAD HEAT UP PROBLEM
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
puzzled
Labourer
Labourer

Post by puzzled » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:56 pm

I've just replaced two panel rads with two vertical column Wickes rads. It's a combi boiler system and I've reset pressure to 1.5 bar and bled entire system, topping up pressure as and when. After bleed and repressurisation heating was turned on. All original panel rads heat up OK but new uprights are warm, but nowhere near as hot as panel ones, and heat is patchy. I read somewhere that verticals are flow sensitive and should have feed in on left btm, out on right btm, so this is how they are. I've heard from some 'these are brilliant' but from others' I can't afford any more plumbers bills to try to get them working'. I was also told of someone who fitted them wrong way up, they acted as mine are and they turned them over and all was OK but the way I saw it when fitting was side holes at top , for bleed and blank, bottom holes (upright entry) for pipework / valves and this is how those finished up and worked OK.

Any ideas

TJ

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:45 pm

IT could simply be an airlock.

Shut of all the valves to the other rads to see if any air can be shifted.

Before you do that, how hot are the valves feeding the rad? If they and the bottom of the rad are very hot, but the top of the rad is cold, you have a circulation problem in the rad itself.

If one or both of the valves are cool or cold, then there is a flow problem which is probably trapped air.

puzzled
Labourer
Labourer

Post by puzzled » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:49 pm

Cheers for that, I'll give it a try

Doof
Labourer
Labourer

VERT RAD

Post by Doof » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:16 am

Hi I also fitted a vert rad,it worked fine for a week now it is patchy, how did you get on with plumbbob's idea. Also, my system is old and vented oil fired, and I often have two or three rads that are cool. Does anybody know if it is worth fitting a more powerful pump to assist circulation?
thks

Doof
Labourer
Labourer

VERT RAD

Post by Doof » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:18 am

Hi I also fitted a vert rad,it worked fine for a week now it is patchy, how did you get on with plumbbob's idea. Also, my system is old and vented oil fired, and I often have two or three rads that are cool. Does anybody know if it is worth fitting a more powerful pump to assist circulation?
thks

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:34 pm

Doof. Have you tried balancing the system? A stronger pump is not going to solve the problem of an imbalanced system.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1