Vertical steel support inside a wall
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Pianoman
Labourer
Labourer

Vertical steel support inside a wall

Post by Pianoman » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:18 pm

I am replacing my conservatory roof with a pitched tiled roof. I am replacing some of the windows but want to re-use the patio doors so am building a cavity wall in the two front corners to support the front & side lintels. Building control are ok with this except they want me to build a vertical steel support in the wall as it is only 500mm wide. He said I can put it either in the cavity which is 2” or in the inner wall. What should I use for this? And how should it be fixed to the horizontal lintel. My local suppliers cannot help me. I have some galvanized scaffold poles. Would these be sufficient if I had a base plate made for them. The extension is 2.14 m out & 4.2m wide.

andy01
Ganger
Ganger

Post by andy01 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:13 pm

not sure what BCO expects the post to achive.

is it to act as a wind post? in which case what are you fixing it to at the top?
is it to support the load from the lintel? the brcik will be able to do this?
is it to stop flexural cracking of the side wall?

get and SE to sort out either a post or a calc to prove the brickwork.

i think if the brick return is 625mm long you wont need the steel post.
check building regs part a

elwood
Ganger
Ganger

Post by elwood » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:32 pm

Hi

Just completed an extension using windposts which were 90mmx90mm
box section posts, because you only 50mm cavity you would be better off oncorporating in the inner skin.

The windposts are fixed to the foundations to give the bearing wall more support not the lintel.

You also need design and calcs for the building inspector ,scaffold tubes are doubtful.

bye

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:35 am