Very Wet Gable Wall and Water Ingress Around Top of Downstairs Window
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
myzopoda
Labourer
Labourer

Very Wet Gable Wall and Water Ingress Around Top of Downstairs Window

by myzopoda » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:10 pm

Hi
Our house is located so that whenever it rains the wind drives the rain directly into our south-facing gable wall. We've been having problems with water ingress around the top of the downstairs windows (another story but related) but recently i drilled some holes near the top of the wall and was surprised to find that what came out had the consistency of very wet clay. It actually sizzled on the drill bit as the water evaporated. It reminded me that when we had the boiler put in 4 years ago the fitter commented that our wall was very wet and the core he drilled out was like clay. Is this a big problem? Is there anything i can do about this? Would rendering help?
Any advice would be much appreciated!

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Very Wet Gable Wall and Water Ingress Around Top of Downstairs Window

by welsh brickie » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:15 pm

I would consider a type of cladding to the gable, Rather than a render, It will protect it to some degree but either tiles or a upvc cladding, would be better, Sounds like the water has penetrated deep into the wall.

myzopoda
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Very Wet Gable Wall and Water Ingress Around Top of Downstairs Window

by myzopoda » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:29 pm

Many thanks for your advice. I guess the tiles would allow the wall to dry out over time whereas rendering would seal in the existing moisture? Not sure it would fit in with the neighbourhood but it's better than the wall collapsing!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:50 pm