Victorian House In Need of Plastering
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Matthew Emms
Labourer
Labourer

Victorian House In Need of Plastering

by Matthew Emms » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:11 pm

Hi,

Hoping you can advise.

I have just purchsed a 1910 Victorian Terraced House. Throughout there is a real mix of plaster walls, papered walls & ceilings, artex walls & ceilings. The ceilings are the old Lath and Plaster kind, although they appear to be in good condition, the paper over them is peeling off and I want to tidy these up. I want however a quick solution with minimal mess. If I go down the road of overboarding, will this create dangerous loading on the joists?

In addition to the artex walls, which are heavily stippled, is sanding, sealing and skimming an option, or is just removing skirting, coving, and fireplace surround and plasterboarding floor to ceiling over the existing walls an option?

Any advice you can give would be great.

Thanks.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:37 pm

Hi Matthew Emms,
as long as your joist are sound and in good condition, over boarding ok. How old is the property and when was it last decorated? I ask because you have to be careful with artex it used to contain asbestos and sanding down not recomended.
Regards
KB

Matthew Emms
Labourer
Labourer

Asbestos in Artex

by Matthew Emms » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:35 am

Thanks for the reply.

The property dates back to 1915. Unclear as to when the artex was done. It appears to be in pretty condition, no cracks, very solid etc. Would it be best to get someone in to confirm if asbestos is present? Is so, who would be best placed to do this for me? Worst case scenario, it is asbestos ridden, what will this mean? Assume it means I will need to engage specailists contractors for removal? Is overboarding floor to ceiling over this artex an option worth considering, I know best to leave asbestos well alone if possible.

Thanks.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:10 pm

See the project on artex removal. The stripper in there will remove artex with asbestos safely.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:12 am