Victorian property -Interior Granite wall render
Brickwork, drystone walling, render are a few subjects covered here. Click here to post questions and get answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
davey_C
Apprentice
Apprentice

Victorian property -Interior Granite wall render

by davey_C » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:49 am

I have an interior party wall which has rising damp so I hacked off the old crumbly plaster and had a chemical DPC installed which will hopefully stop the damp.

The wall is mainly made up of granite but has also been cobbled with some brick, basically very ugly looking. What is the best way to re-render the wall? Cement and sand mix with water proof additive? Then skim on top?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Dave

davey_C
Apprentice
Apprentice

by davey_C » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:55 am

Anyone have any ideas at all?

I was thinking 8 x sand to 1x cement and 1x lime mix to let the walls breath? Rather then adding in a water prooof additive

Thanks

Lumpyspiv
Labourer
Labourer

by Lumpyspiv » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:23 am

Can I extend to this thread. Before Christmas, we left the UK and moved out to southern Bulgaria. I am trying to finish renovating an old Kindergarten and I have one room which requires rendering from top to bottom. Again it's built of rock and brick. Would I need to paint a bonding fluid on the wall first or just damp it down the same as if I was plastering? Is an 8:1 mix OK? I've been reading cement bags out here and they suggest 4/5:1.
I also need to raise the level of the hallway floor to bring it in line with all the other rooms. As the floors will be tiled, use a simple concrete mix ie. 1:3:6 (cement:sand:gravel)?
Grateful for ANY help and suggestions.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:23 pm