Polystyrene Tiles - HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cambrian481
Labourer
Labourer

Polystyrene Tiles - HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by cambrian481 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:23 pm

I have removed the poly tiles from the ceiling in my hallway and the stairs. I got the glue off with a steamer and then sanded the ceilings. My husband then put a layer of of pVA/paint mix on the ceilings to seal. Once this was dry we painted the ceilings in question with emulsion......however in places the paint has just congealed, bubbled and dripping. Where have we gone wrong??? and how can we rectify??? Please help.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:36 pm

Its the PVA - total waste of space in this sort of application. Shouldn't have used it I'm afraid. Clean it all off and start again.

Once you are back to a good plaster surface (provided you haven't sanded the surface layer off that is) gie a mist coat of matt emulsion diluted with about 20% water. Allow to dry then another mist coat but only 10% dilution this time. Finally you can do your top coat.

Cheers

cambrian481
Labourer
Labourer

by cambrian481 » Fri May 09, 2008 12:05 pm

Thank you for your suggestion , my husband and I will get to it however I dont mean to be a thicko???!!!! but how do we clean off the surface as it is now painted?? and how do i clean the PVA from the other ceiling that we have not painted yet due to problem with the previous one. Poly tiles are a no no.... I will never renovate another house with them in!!!!!!!!!!!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:03 pm