Installing ultracast shower tray
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dchopp
Apprentice
Apprentice

Installing ultracast shower tray

Post by dchopp » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:32 am

I am confused by the instructions to instal a shower tray at first floor level. The flooring is normal T & G. I intend raising the tray off the floor for waste purposes.
I am supplied with four legs and instructed to bed ithe tray on mortar on marine ply, but surely the legs will get in the way. The legs screw into the base of the tray.

My inclination is to fix the marine ply on 4 by 2 lengths of wood as suggested on this site and dispense with the legs. I presume I will still have to put mortar down.

I would welcome any advice on my concern. Thank you

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by TheDoctor4 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:53 am

Hi

Have you had a chance to have a look at the DIY Projects area at all, especially the project on "Fitting a Shower Tray": https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/showertray.htm This may help you out!!

Regards

dchopp
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by dchopp » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:11 pm

Thanks Gardnico

Yes, I did look at the projects section which also gave examples of using a wood supported platform and alternatively legs.

The tray instructions indicate a raised platform made up of marine ply on lengths of wood but on the next pages a detailed installation just using the 4 plastic and metal legs and plastic feet and clips provided.

It is confusing me and although I am turning towards making a platform etc I would welcome help on the way forward.

Thank you

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by TheDoctor4 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:11 am

Hi

In terms of legs, it really depends on the manufacturer, some supply legs and some don't. Either way we always use additional timbers for added strength and support (along with the legs if they are supplied).
In respect to the mortar we would suggest fixing the legs and timbers to the floor first and then use Gripfill to bed the tray onto: http://www.awin1.com/awclick.php?mid=12 ... fill-350ml

I hope that this helps!!

Regards

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:09 pm

Think you may be getting a little confused here. Some shower trays are supplied with optional legs. The instructions show installation for both systems.

If the tray is to sit on a concrete floor or 18mm marine ply, it is recommended that the tray sits on a bed of mortar which will even out any undulations in the underside of the tray. I have installed, and removed hundreds(?) of trays over the years, and I can count on one hand how many have used mortar. It all depends on how flat the underside of the tray is. Normally, I use silicone to fix the tray to the ply. It gives a good fix but not a permanent one.

If you are going to use legs, then marine ply and mortar are not required. Fix the legs to the tray and fit in position. One point worth mentioning is be aware how strong the t&g flooring is. Often the legs are over holes in the boards, or on weak spots allowing the tray to move when stood on. A definite no no!

Before now, I have fitted ply to the floor to strengthen it then stood the tray legs on that.

If you can, chuck the legs away. They are c**p. Put three or four lengths of 3" x 2" or 4" x 2* and fix 18mm ply over (some instructions suggest using green flooring chipboard which is much cheaper than marine ply), check that the tray bottom is flat and if so, fix as I said. Just make sure the 4x2 is level before fitting the ply which in turn must be flat and level.

dchopp
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by dchopp » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:01 am

Thank you Gardnico. I will proceed with the legs and additional wood support recommendation.

Having re-read the Manufacturers installation instructions, which are not totaly clear, I now appreciate that they provide a standard installation guide without using legs and another using just the four legs. I believe I have read somewhere that it is not recommended to rely on just 4 legs.

Thank you once again

dchopp
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by dchopp » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:42 pm

Thank you also Plumbbob, I replied to Gardnico before seeing your helpful reply.

I will put a layer of marine ply down over the floorboards, just in case. It is unbelievable that manufacturers supply legs which may not be up to the job. The legs supplied for my tray are 10mm thick steel with thread to screw in to make the tray level.

If this method is questionable surely it is not beyond the wit of the manufacturer to supply an appropriate base.

Anyway, thanks once again

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:32 am