Plastic pipe
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
wey aye man
Labourer
Labourer

Plastic pipe

by wey aye man » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:00 pm

What's the difference between PE-X and PB pipe?

Or straight to the point what is best to plumb radiators in?

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:48 pm

Ah, you could be starting a topic here that may rage on for some time as experts all argue their preferences.

In principle, there is little to choose between the two as they have both been around for a long time and perform equally as well. The only difference is that Pex has a smaller internal bore, so you can't mix inserts.

Personally, I have both on the van and use them in equal amounts. Generally, I choose Polyplumb (PB) more for heating, simply because the fittings are smaller than Speedfit (B-pex) and the guy I work with never uses b-pex.

I prefer Speedfit for potable water because the fittings have double seals which probably makes them more reliable for the higher pressure and also the pipe is more likely to be visible, behind pedestals / in cupboards etc.

Having said all that, I use copper wherever I can.

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:02 am

J G Speedfit pipe & fittings,but, copper if in view

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:11 pm

HERE WE GO AGAIN GUYS (BUT I LOVE IT)
We had a debate on the pros and cons of the copper plastic debate and copper won but only just i think the phones votes were rigged?

my understaing of john guest piping is that the "barrier" piping is best suited for central heating systems and the normal piping for potable supplys
also if you use john guest piping and use a compression joint to join two lenghts of piping together you use the plastic insert with no o ring on it?

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:33 am

My understanding is : Joining 2 lengths of plastic with a brass compression (a No1) Yes use the inserts, then nut + olive -- jobsagudden.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:53 am