Cantral heating will come on forst thing in morning only
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
samantha
Apprentice
Apprentice

Cantral heating will come on forst thing in morning only

by samantha » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:01 pm

Can anyone help. My heating central heating timer has 3 x on and off programable time settings for both the heating and water. The Water will go on and off on all three times set but my central heating will only come on and go off, on the 1st time set - which is the early hours of the morning. The central heating will not come on for the either the 2nd time which is set for the afternoon and nor the 3rd time, which is due to come on in the early evening. Any ideas as gto what the problem could be???

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:26 pm

Programmer may be faulty, if the heating works ok every morning then obviously the rest of the system is working properly.

If you turn the central heating on manually does it work ?

htg

samantha
Apprentice
Apprentice

by samantha » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:09 pm

Hi Htg,

The programmer is a Honeywell ST6400C. I have a Grundfos pump and a Honeywell V4073A 3 port valve. If i move the lever on the valve over to manual position myself, then yes, the heating will come on. I was wondering whether the valve could be faulty, or wouldn't it keep coming on in the morning if there was a problem with the valve? What do you think? Still the programmer? Is it possible that the programmer will work on every other time, except the second and third heating programmed times? Thanks for your help so far! Samantha

Chippy Minton
Labourer
Labourer

central heating problem

by Chippy Minton » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:17 am

If you've got a thermostat or roomstat on your system try turning it up. It may be that the heating only comes on in the morning when the house is at its coldest, and dosn't come on later because the house temp is higher than the thermostat setting

samantha
Apprentice
Apprentice

by samantha » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:11 pm

Hi Htg engineer,
Yes, if i move the lever on the honeywell V4073a 3 port valve to manual, the heating comes on. Is it possible it could be the programmer given that it works fine for the hot water and for the heating first thing?? Could it be the valve itself not working properly? Apologies if you get this twice. My last message to you seems to not have appeared.
Thanks for your help! Samantha

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:13 pm

Without touching the Actuator, if you select Central Heating on the programmer (on manual/ ON/ All Day, not on timed) does the heating come on ?

As you say the heating works on a morning - that would suggest the actuator and everything else is working fine. That's why I said it may be the programmer.

htg

samantha
Apprentice
Apprentice

by samantha » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:24 pm

Hi Htg,
Yes, without touching the actuator and with the heating set to continously on on the programmer, the heating comes on when the digital thermostat in the hallway calls for heat and goes off once the temperature has been met. Does that mean it is the prgrammer then ? And do you think its something thats easily repaired or am i better off just buying a new programmer? Thanks again for your help! Samantha

samantha
Apprentice
Apprentice

by samantha » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:26 pm

Chippy Minton, thanks for your advise. I had already tried what you suggested but its great of you to point it out anyhow. Samantha

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:10 am

It seems like a new programmer is required.

htg

samantha
Apprentice
Apprentice

by samantha » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:18 pm

Hi Htg, after sending my last message to you, the heating has now decided not to come on at all when the thermostat in hallway is calling, despite still being switched on to the constant setting. Do you think this is just another way of the programmer playing up? Or could it be another problem lurking? Thanks so much. Hope you dont mind me asking another question! Thank you, Samantha

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1