Bathroom mods
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

duffsparky
Apprentice
Apprentice

Bathroom mods

by duffsparky » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:12 pm

Hi,

I'm new on this forumn so please bare with me.

I've started modifying our bathroom and en-suite only to find that I may need Building Regs approval for at least part of the work. Luckily I've only done the demolition stages so far, removed a partition wall, a block wall (non load baring I'm told), hot and cold water feeds, central heating feeds, removed one loo and sink with their water feeds and waste pipes and temp relocated another loo, water feed and waste pipes. I'm not sure but I've probably gone too far, with regard to the Building Regs, as no application has yet been made.

I have several questions about the project but will post them section by section as they crop up.

I want to move the first floor and loft sections of the soil stack internally along an outside wall by about 1900mm max C to C and put a new horizontal section in the floor void to join them up. Hopefully I can get sufficient fall (min 2 degs) on the new soil pipe, least ways, by my calcs I can. In effect I want to 'dog leg' or off set the stack, is this controlled by BRC and if so, is it permitted? If it is permitted, I would like to conceal the relocated section of soil stack within a suitably wide partition wall, is this permitted?

The BRs suggest the floor under the bath should be strengthened, least ways where it sits parallel to the floor joists. The floor joists under the original bath position were not strengthened but were sat on, and at right angles to, a block wall below. In its new location the bath sits parallel to the joists and approx mid way along its length straddles a block wall at right angles below. This block wall below the bath, supports one end of two sets of floor joists, It would appear I could use either sister joists, additional joists, full height noggins or a combination of these. What would be the best way to do this strengthening should it be required? Is this controlled by BRC?

The Brs also suggest partition walls, not sat on load baring walls, should have additional floor joists installed beneath them. The original house drawings, circa 1994, show a slip joist below a 'Paramount' honeycomb wall and full height noggins below a traditional cut studded wall, which is an extension of the 'Paramount' wall. The reason I detail this is because both sections of wall run alongside the repositioned bath.

The floor joists are 38mm x 182mm nominal covered with standard 18mm Caberboard, not bathroom grade, which in several areas needs replacing as its gotten wet and has blown.

Hope this all makes sense.

Kind regards,

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:23 pm