Voltage Switch for 24v 40W Cooling Fan
Tips, tricks and information on how to spot rogue and cowboy builders and also a platform for you to post and warn others of cowboy builders you may have encountered and help to spread the word of their dodgy dealings

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
moonshot998
Labourer
Labourer

Voltage Switch for 24v 40W Cooling Fan

by moonshot998 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:23 pm

Hello hello

I'm a new poster to this forum but have been floating around for a little while, I do apologise if this posted in the wrong place or if accidentally flouting any forum rules, if i am let me know and i shall rectify.

As for the question.

I was wondering if anyone knew of cheap reliable voltage switch that i could put infront of a 24v 40W cooling fan to effectively give it a low power setting. Potentiometers in this power range are crazy expensive and not really necessary for my application.

Forgive me if this is a very obvious question, I have some basic knowledge of electronics but figured getting advice is always the safest option.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Voltage Switch for 24v 40W Cooling Fan

by ericmark » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:34 am

There are two ways to drop voltage, either switch mode which means very little waste heat or a resistor. If the fan uses permanent magnets then the switch mode method could damage the fan.

I would find a bulb holder and wire in series and try different bulbs until you get speed right.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:05 am