DIY Doctor

Main navigation

W Trusses

Postby weedy1234 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:58 pm

I live in a 2 year old house in which the loft is not tall enough to convert to a room. However, hope to use the loft space for storage. The space is very limited due to, what i believe are called, W trusses. Ideally I would like to remove some of these and replace with something which would create more space. Are there any solutions, steal supports or the likw which would do this. Can anyone reccommend any companies which carry out such work????

Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:47 pm

Postby stevenc1603 » Thu May 01, 2008 3:16 pm

You will need to seek the services of a structural engineer, or a company that employs one as your roof would have to be assessed to see what modifications would work.

Chances are you could have the trusses modified but without expert knowledge your roof could collapse.
Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 11:59 am

Postby LCL » Sat May 17, 2008 5:28 pm


The W trusses are called Fink style trusses. The main issue wit altering hte trusses (which should not be undertaken without seeking advice from a chartered building surveyor or structural engineer) is taht many first floor level walls in new dwellings are non-load-bearing. Therfore there is very little for new steel beams to load onto. You are likely to find that this will be a very expensive option for very little gain.

Hope this helps

Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:40 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics