Wall Chasing Problems With Chisel Going Through Bricks
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
djjohnjones
Labourer
Labourer

Wall Chasing Problems With Chisel Going Through Bricks

by djjohnjones » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:20 pm

Hi please dont have a go as im not great with building terminology and dont know it all. Im chasing out some walls in my house for some new plug sockets. The problem im having is when i chisel about 5-10mm in (i think) the chisel will go through to the brick for the other wall as if my bricks are hollow but this means my back boxes go to deep if i put some polly filler/plaster on the brick at the back before and then drill put in my wall plugs and screw my back boxes will that be okay or should i do it a different way.
Thanks

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Wall Chasing Problems With Chisel Going Through Bricks

by ericmark » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:38 am

I think we all have had the problem. Two points first is will it degrade the load bearing quality of the wall? Some times there is no option, but to use surface sockets and cable.

But I find easy method is expanding foam, squirt it in, place the box in place, and return latter when it has hardened to fit socket.

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Wall Chasing Problems With Chisel Going Through Bricks

by collectors » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:07 pm

I found stiff bonding plaster works well. But make sure you cut the whole for the box a good inch or 2 larger so you can get a good dollop of plaster behind & around the boxes.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:19 pm