Wall Cracks
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
arcticgoldfish
Labourer
Labourer

Wall Cracks

Post by arcticgoldfish » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:45 pm

Hi,

I am looking at buying a house but have some concerns about cracks. The house is the middle of a row of three terraced town houses.

Inside, where internal walls join one of the shared walls, there are cracks. These cracks in the plaster run in the corners from floor to ceiling and along the ceiling (still in the corner). They are certainly larger than cracks in plaster I have in my current house which run along some plaster board joins.

The house that shares this wall has cracks visible in the external brickwork. There are several patches
1) High up a large area where the cracks run along the mortar in all direction.
2) Mid way down - cracks running diagonally (zig-zig) along the mortar between bricks for several meters.

Thats the long bit, in short, is there a problem I should be worried about. Personally, I am concerned that next door is falling down and it's pulling this house with it!! :shock:

Thanks for any advice - I know nothing about building structures!!

James

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

Post by ALDA » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:21 pm

A,

you certainly know enough to have observed the problems visible on the outside wall/s.

go with your gut feelings, and if you are really interested in the property, get a structural survey done and take it from there.

ALDA.

wing
Labourer
Labourer

Post by wing » Thu May 01, 2008 9:47 pm

Another wall cracks query if I may.
My house is 100 year old terrace.
Approx 18 months ago, neighbours on both sides of us had their houses under pinned. (1 was a major renovation project, the other was a bit of keeping up with the Jones' IMHO).
We have now noticed that we are getting some quite scarey looking cracks down some of the internal walls - nothing visible externally, and none of these cracks go the whole way through a wall.
Could there be a connection to the under-pinning work?
Any suggestions as to how we can fix it?
All suggestions gratefully received.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

cracks

Post by welsh brickie » Fri May 02, 2008 8:07 am

If your concerned about any movement contact an independant
structural engineer he will provide a report to either confirm your fears
or put your mind at rest.
Or contact your insurance company they will access the damage and
have their own accessors decide on the best way to proceed.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:45 am