Wall imperfections and getting a good finish
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dal3001
Labourer
Labourer

Wall imperfections and getting a good finish

by dal3001 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:04 pm

Hi all,

We've just moved in to a Victorian era property (first house I've owned, so running a bit light on experience) and we aim to do some re-decorating. It seems there's a mix of paper/paint throughout the property and it varies from room to room, sometimes there's even a mixture in a single room.

In certain areas that have been painted, the walls are full of imperfections - recesses, blotches, bad fills, raised areas etc... This may also be the case under the papered areas but I haven't made an effort to remove any large amounts of paper yet.

The ceilings also aren't perfect and are cracked in areas. I've been told these can be filled with Polyfilla or similar?

I've attached a picture showing a typical example of a wall.

Could anyone advise on the procedure for creating a good finish on these walls? We intend to paint everywhere if possible. I wasn't sure if they need re-skimming or if it was just a case of extensive sanding/filling?

The rooms are quite large and the issue exists on almost all the walls, so I think whatever the solution is it will be quite labour intensive. This is why I wanted to get some advice first before cracking on.

Thanks!

Wall image: https://ibb.co/5vQms4D

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Wall imperfections and getting a good finish

by stoneyboy » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:55 pm

Hi dal3001
Walls - a lot depends on their construction and how they’ve been treated in the past. You could try using filler followed by sanding on one wall and see how it comes out.
Ceilings - these are likely to be lathe and plaster so you will find it difficult to get a smooth flat finish and cracking is likely tombe a continuous issue.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:09 am